So, my previous post was about why I love thrift shopping and an example of how I would style a thrift store find. Today I’ve put together a list of my tips for successful thrift store shopping. To most people thrift stores are sad places full of outdated junk….and you know what? It’s kind of true. I have to sort through a lot of crap to find that one golden ticket item. BUT…with a little bit of patience and a little bit of luck, you can find amazing stuff! Such as….
Linen trousers. These are one of my favorite finds. They were, and remain, in pristine condition (which is remarkable given their color!). I love them because they’re timeless and classy. This is obviously not an “everyday” sort of look, but I like to wear these as an alternative to dress or skirt when I go out with my husband or to an event.
Funky shoes. I fell in love with these little gems because they are so retro and I love the bright orange color. I usually pair these with jeans.
Lace shrug. This is a major go-to item in my closet. I pair it with A LOT of different stuff because it adds a nice feminine touch.
So where to begin?
- When you shop for clothing at thrift stores, keep in mind what you have in your closet at home. What could I pair this with that would make it a dynamite item? What accessories do I have that could really play this up?
- Stay away from notoriously “cheap” brands. There is a reason they have been donated to a thrift store. My guess is that it either has a rip or a stain….OR it doesn’t fit well. Thrift shopping is very similar to retail buying, in that you want to look for quality pieces that are well made. Look for blouses, sweaters, jackets, jeans, dresses. Stay away from jersey knits that tend to wear out quickly.
- Look in all the sizes. Especially with oversized tops coming back don’t dismiss a section because it’s not your true size. Also, items are often put back on the wrong section.
- Look closely at items! Once you’ve decided it’s an item maybe worth purchasing look over it VERY carefully. Look for rips, stains, etc.
- Don’t thrift shop with kids! It’s not like grocery shopping where you can run through the aisles really quick. You have to sort through a lot of stuff and just trust me when I say it’s so much easier and more enjoyable with your littles.
- Luck. Sometimes I find 4 or 5 great items in one trip and sometimes I find nothing, so don’t get discouraged. You have to go fairly regularly to start finding good stuff.
So there you have it! A few tips and tricks to get you started. Have fun!
Love, Sheena-The Thrifty Gypsy
Leave a comment